Technically, I'm supposed to paint it with the rear fenders attached, but I found some black seam sealer that is a perfect match--and given that I don't have a paint booth, it just seemed easier to do it this way (words I've frequently regretted--but we'll see.)
After a good cleansing it was time for masking.
|Always easier than it looks -- it was a lot of work!|
Here's my first coat--a light "tack" coat to give the other layer something to stick to...
And here it is after the second coat. Not too bad, considering it has been about 20 years since I painted a car.
There's a bit more "orange peel" than I liked, as you can see in this close up:
|Not bad, but if I put another coat over this, it'll look worse|
Overall, it laid flat and looks nice. I have a couple small runs that I need to sand out--but that's the beauty of single stage--you can sand out mistakes, then polish it up like they never happened. It's hard to take a picture of black cars--you're seeing more of the reflections of the roof and my lights than of the paint.
On to the rear fenders and doors.