Sunday, February 24, 2013

Control Arms

After adding a cheap press to my shop, I was finally able to complete the dis-assembly of the control arms from one side of the car. First, using borrowed-home-made special tools to prevent the 20-ton press from distorting the shape of the control arm, I pressed down on the inner shaft and pressed the bushing until it was flush with the edge of the control arm:

They've only been in there for 50 years...
After getting it that far, a dull chisel and a hammer (ok, I cheated and used an air chisel) is used to drive the bushing the rest of the way out of the control arm.

Here's the upper control arm stripped to the bare shell:

Needs a bath!
Then comes the inevitable cleanup:

No heavy solvent--just some green cleaner and a lot of scrubbing

After cleaning off all the caked on grease and road grime, I hit the parts with a wire brush and put on a coat of primer and paint. Sorry, I'm a little rusty at the blogging thing and I forgot to take a pic of that. Yup, nothing makes exciting blogging like pictures of paint drying!

Then it was simply a matter of putting things back together. I started with the inner bushings on the lower control arm. Here's the upper control arm with more of those home-made tools (in case you were wondering, the factory specified special tools are no longer available for this.)

Pressin'! The rusty area is simply dust off of the tool. 
Attaching the outer bushings and the kingpin is a bit trickier. It requires a special tool (which I actually own!) and some very careful measurement. To keep the end of the arm from binding the outer pin, you have to spread the arm 0.015 inches. So out comes the micrometer and tool--and since I had to pay really close attention, I didn't take a picture of this procedure.

Here's the completed upper arm.

I stopped for the day because I need to push a bushing and a bearing into the steering knuckle (which holds the bottom, shiny portion of the king pin you see in the above picture) and didn't have the correct tools for the job. Time to make a few calls--there has to be a Studebaker person around in the area who has done this previously.

And once that is done, it will be time to move on to the other side and do this all over again. Next side should go much easier, now that I have an idea of how to go about things.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Suspension dis-assembly

I finally got some time to work on Studebaker stuff today and so decided to tackle the clean-up and dis-assembly of one side of the front suspension.

First, removal of about 8,000 lbs (only a slight exaggeration) of hardened grease and grime.

This clean up was just to find all the nuts and bolts. I'll make it pretty later, after a long soak.
Then it was time to break out the air tools. Turning the piece upside down, I removed the castellated nut that holds the king pin to the lower support and steering knuckle.

Of course it's blurry--you try holding a camera phone steady when operating an impact hammer.

After the nut is removed, the king pin is driven out of the lower support using a hammer and a brass drift. You gotta love a job when you get to use a hammer! Unfortunately, this step was also supposed to be done with the upper control arm still in place on the car. So after a bit of pondering, I decided a jack stand might just do the trick.

More pieces!
Then it was simply a matter of getting after the bolts on the side of the assembly. These were really on there, requiring that I break out the 3/4-inch impact hammer. The larger tool made short work of things (I didn't even think about taking a picture using it) and soon I was left with even more pieces.

Done for the day.
There are still a couple of parts on there--the long, inner shafts on the control arms require that the bushings holding them in place be pushed out with a press (which I don't have) and there's a keeper in the lower support that needs a press as well.  But this is far enough along to enable me to order parts. Fortunately, it is in very good shape, so I'll just refresh the bushings, bearings and seals.

And even though I have the Shop Manual, I'm going to leave the other side together for reference. You just never know.

Monday, February 4, 2013

A quest fullfilled

After more than a year's search, I have a clock! My dash is complete.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Now for some not-so-shiney parts

A pair of '64 Studebaker control arms and king pins (and a steering box to play with)

Now I have something to do--as well as having a full morning with a couple of us pulling them off of the donor car. Although it was cold and foggy out, it was good to work on a Studebaker again.

It'll start with some clean-up and dis-assembly. More to come soon.