Sunday, May 27, 2012

Right front fender patching

Let's see, where were we?

Oh yeah, I had chickened out, uh, I mean, wisely decided to buy preformed patch panels for the repairs to the driver's side front fender. But the passenger side was in better condition, so I decided to make the panels for it myself.

If you'll recall, here's what the bottom-front of the fender looked like after I removed the paint to inspect it:

The first step was to get rid of that epoxy, and cut out the thin material. After I did that, I repaired the small amount of rust through on the brace behind the area, cleaned and treated it for any rust that might be remaining, then primed and painted it so it wouldn't rust again.

From here on out, pictures of the fender will be upside down

Next, I cut out a piece of left over flooring material a little bit larger than the hole in the fender and bent and hammered it into a curve that matched the fender.

Then it was simply a matter of grinding the patch and the hole in the fender until they fit together nicely.

Finally, I welded it in place following the "series of spot welds" technique to avoid warping the metal and ground back the welds. I still have a little bit of grinding/filling to do, but the bulk of the hard work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment