Oh, I also went to a scrap metal recycler in nearby Albany this weekend to get some plate metal to use to attach my engine to my engine stand--they didn't have quite what I was looking for, but I found something that will work. Or at least should. But it is bigger than I need so will have to cut it down to size. I thought I should tell you about this so you'd know why I didn't start cleaning the engine yet.
But back to the cleaning. Yeah, they were dirty. I scraped years of crud off, then soaked it with a green-colored, non-toxic, biodegradeable cleanser followed up with a few minutes under my pressure washer. Once dry, I hit it again. I even painted the rear end (nothing fancy--not like it will be very visible, but it will keep it from rusting.)
|You can tell a lot about the differential from this pic.|
|With new brake lines and hose attached. I'm not pleased with the quality of the line fitting, but more on that later.|