Saturday, July 16, 2011

I loves the internets

I knew the engine I purchased was a late model studebaker since it was a "full-flow" block. [This basically means that all the oil in the car flows through the oil filter--it is easy to identify a full-flow block because it has a spin-on type oil filter located on the lower portion of the engine block just like a modern car.] But who knows, it could have been a 259 cubic inch motor from a lark put in there at a later date, instead of the 289 cubic inch motor I suspected.


So, after a visit to the Studebaker Driver's Club V-8 identification page to know where to look, I cleaned up the appropriate place on the block to find the ID stamping:

This stamping is found on the front left of the block right on the top.
The PK309 identifies it as a 289 cubic inch engine in a 1964 Hawk or Lark.  The K portion is the month  of manufacture (October) the 3 is the year (1963) and the 09 is the day.  So my engine was built October 9, 1963--an appropriate engine for the car. I suspect this was original.

Thanks to my buddy Jon, the booty shown below was quickly unloaded and secured in my garage. This evening I separated the engine from the transmission, then removed the clutch assembly and flywheel in preparation to place it on the engine stand--this will have to wait until tomorrow as, unfortunately, the hardware store (and pretty much everything else in the small town I live in) closed at 6 p.m. so I was unable to procure the longer,  hardened bolts needed to mount it to the stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment