First up, remove the rusted area over the brace:
|The upper part of the exposed brace only has surface rust, but the bottom portion is shot.|
Then I cut away the rusted portion of the brace:
|Sorry it is blurry, my phone focused on the small bit of grass growing in the crack in my driveway.|
|I just so happened to have a thick chunk of steel with a groove in it. Sweet!|
|Adding just the right amount of curve.|
After filling in between the spot welds and grinding them flush, I then coated the area with a rust converting/primer/paint.
And then I cut the fender skin square and cut the patch to match, fit it, then spot welded it into place. There was a lot of hammering and filing to get it to match up.
|starting to look like a fender again|
That was my stopping point for the day. Next up is the rusted area on the top of the fender. Once that is done, I get to see how straight I can get everything with a hammer and dolly.