Monday, September 9, 2013

Keeping busy

Sunday found me heading out to clean up the garage a bit. First, I put the old, flat-head 6 that came in the Stude on my engine stand so I have a bit more room on the garage floor. Then I headed under the car to bolt down the mounts.

It was then that I discovered that while the front motor mounts had slipped into place, the studs on the rear mount (on the engine bell-housing) were still resting on top of the cross member. Ah, I figure, they're really close to the holes--I'll just grab the tail end of the transmission and wriggle them into place.

It wouldn't budge.

I discovered that the back of the transmission where the shifter connects was resting very, very firmly against the transmission tunnel. Easy enough to fix: I need to cut a hole out of the tunnel for the shifter anyway. So out with the cut-off discs.


It was easy to wriggle the trans into place after that; notice the little half-moon shaped area at the front of the cut? I needed to remove that to have enough clearance to move the trans, but now that it is in place, I'll fill that in with a bit of sheet metal just to make things pretty.

This evening I finally got the engine and trans securely bolted in place. And since my new front shocks arrived, I went ahead and installed them.

That's a shock in there. Honest.
Next up, I put the flywheel inspection plate in place...

Apologies for the blurry picture, but to be honest, it really isn't all that exciting.
And then I installed the new, shorty starter.


That's enough work for a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment