First, I got the freshly rebuilt control arms/kingpins/spindles installed along with the new progressive springs. I had a bit of a struggle with this, until I read on the Studebaker Driver's Club forum where some people unbolt the bottom of the kingpin instead of trying to align the four bolts on the inside of the lower control arm. This helped considerably, and assembly was quick and straightforward.
|Note the safety chain--car springs can kill people!|
Next, I started to install the new front sway bar assembly--if you recall, I ordered a high performance/heavy duty front and rear set. Installation of this on my car is difficult at best--and requires quite a bit of force. Without the engine in, I discovered that I was lifting the car off of the front jack stands trying to get it in place. So I've decided to wait to put that on when the engine is in and the front end is back on the ground.
You'll also notice that a disk brake rotor/hub is still on the ground--modifications tend to take time. I had forgotten that the front disk assembly requires a specially machined piece to heated and then pressed fit on the spindle. Unfortunately, those special pieces are on the old suspension! I'll have to order a replacement pair (I don't think it is worth the effort to try to remove those--they should be inexpensive to replace but, I imagine, nearly impossible to remove from the old spindles.)
And my brand new shocks for the front don't fit my new lower a-arms.
So my modifications are slowing me up a little. That's the nature of things.
I did go ahead and put a new shaft and new bearings in the bellcrank--the center around which the steering components spin--sorry no pics, but it really was simple to do. I then installed the tie rods (complete with new ends), and cleaned up the steering box.
|That's what the inside of an old-school steering box looks like!|