Sunday, March 30, 2014

Three steps forward, one back

So clutch adjustment time. I noticed there was a lot of slack in the pedal--about 2-inches or so--before the throwout bearing shaft started to turn. Starting to look for a cause of it, I discovered a good deal of motion where the adjustment rod connected--taking it apart, I discovered a groove had been worn in the shaft. Even a small amount of slack movement here can amplify when at the pedal level.

I suppose I should suspect a little wear after 50 years
So over to the welder I go, and fill the groove with weld. Then the tedious task of filing it into shape, followed by a light sanding. The end result:

Much better
So I put it back together and tried--no good. I still could not get the clutch to release. I adjusted the rod to both extremes, and still no good. So I decided to try a shorter adjustment rod (I have several.) I adjusted the shortest rod to the shortest length (giving me the most movement) and snap:

Something is definitely not right here. Removing the access panel inside the car, I was able to use a small video inspection camera to view the throwout bearing area via a small hole in the top of the bell housing. I could see that the throwout bearing was moving forward properly and engaging the pressure plate toggle levers as it should. Hmm. Nothing for it--I'm going to have to remove the transmission and see what's happening.

Off comes the shifter..
Down comes the batwing..

And, after removing the driveshaft, out comes the transmission
Now I can see the clutch assembly and notice something is definitely not right:

One of the toggle levers is resting against the springs!

And judging from the bits of broken metal I retrieved from the bottom of the bell housing, I'm guessing this must have been the result of a casting flaw. Time to order a new cover/pressure plate assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment