Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The three problems

I have three problems that I'm struggling with on the car: Several power steering leaks:

This is from the control valve--there's also a leak from the pump.
Then there's the few odd, troublesome leaks in the brake lines, combined with a brake pedal that is a little lower than I'd like:

Apparently, it is difficult to get the combination of stainless steel brake lines and silicone (synthetic) brake fluid to form a good seal.

And finally there's the clutch; the clutch point is on the floor.

I've decided that I pick one of these at a time and resolve it.  The easiest of these seemed like the clutch. Since the adjustment rod was tightened as far as it would go, I removed it, clamped it in my vise and took a die to it, adding a few extra threads.

A bit more adjustment--just what I needed.
The clutch release point was now decently high off the floor where it belonged, but when pressed to the floor, the release levers on the pressure plate were making contact with the spring. There was now too much throw. No matter how much I tweaked the adjustment, I couldn't seem to get it quite right. I left it alone for the evening to ponder.

Originally, the car was equipped with a floor mounted starter switch. It was sort of a safety feature--you had to depress the clutch to start the car. It dawned on me that the clutch was never designed to go all the way to the floor.  So tonight I went to my collection of labeled baggies, pulled out the old starter switch, found the little tang that fit under the cltuch pedal to activate it, and installed them.

The clutch range is now limited.
I'm now able to adjust the clutch to be at a normal release point, and the levers don't come into contact with the disc springs when fully depressed.  Problem #1 solved.

I'm thinking the other two won't be so easy to fix--but at least there are only two remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment