Sunday, May 4, 2014

Not so fast...

"Ok, something isn't quite right," I thought, looking down at the half quart or so of power steering fluid on the floor of my garage. The second power steering pump was now leaking out the shaft seal. What was happening?

After a little research, I realized that the rubber seal that goes under the wing nut holding the lid on the reservoir was blocking a small hole put there to relieve pressure. Hoping that's the case, I pulled the pump off, verified that it was leaking from the front seal, and went out and bought a new seal and a couple of o-rings for under the reservoir. And I cut a little bit out of that seal to let the lid vent.

The most time today was spent cleaning up the reservoir and pulley for paint--I figured while I had it out I'd paint it black.


I'm not going to say it is fixed yet--we'll have to see. Fingers crossed though.

I also replaced my beat up old parking brake handle with a new old stock one. The grip portion of the handle requires paint, so I sprayed it silver to match the column and dash, and installed it. It is nice to have a parking brake again.


Careful observers will notice that I nicked the paint on the mounting bracket--an easy fix, but I'll wait until I install the dash to take care of that (and any other nicks along the way.)


No comments:

Post a Comment