Friday, July 20, 2012

Chrome!

This morning I loaded up the chrome and took it to the platers.

The chrome doesn't mind the hair and muddy footprints in the back of our "dog car"
I'll get it back in 2 months. And my pocket will be lighter by about $2k. But that includes straigtening the front bumper, removing dents from the back, removing a small dent from one of the pot-metal gril surrounds (a difficult task) and a lot of pocks that will need to be dealt with. And the result will be show quality. (There's a bunch more little bits in the bottom of the box that you can't see, by the way--dash parts, tail lights, door handles, window cranks. . .)

Oh, and finally my first choice in media blasting is finally back from vacation. I'm hauling the car across the river to his shop towards the end of next week.

So for now, my job is shifting from being a laborer to being a general contractor.  I think, in some ways, I preferred being a laborer: it was fun (most of the time) and easier on the bank account. But there are some things I just can't do (chrome plating) and other things I know that I wouldn't be happy with the results if I did do it myself (painting). Now here's hoping that the painting is done before the chrome is!

No comments:

Post a Comment