Saturday, March 26, 2011

Discoveries, or YAO!

I've began the arduous task of replacing the metal brake lines under the car today--basically, at this point, I'm doing a lot of cleaning--there's years of road grime and built up gunk on most of the nuts and bolts and clips and fasteners on the underneath that I need to remove before I can start.

That's when I discovered "Yet Another Option" on the car--this car is equipped with a Hill Holder. You may have seen this advertised as a nifty accessory on current Subaru or Dodge vehicles--but Studebaker actually invented it back in 1936. The Hill Holder activates the brakes when the clutch is fully depressed when the car is stopped, keeping it from rolling backwards while on an incline.

Of course, this is just one more thing that I'll have to bring up to date. Fortunately, there's a rebuild kit available. And it will probably be less effective only connected to the rear drums since I'll be installing front discs soon. But it is good to know that my little Plain Jane isn't quite so Plain. That's good, because Jane just isn't a good name for a Studebaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment